Monday, March 16, 2009

Television...


"It's the menace that everyone loves to hate but can't seem to live without."
~Paddy Chayevsky


It's always best for the ladybug when i cinch up my fat-lady pants and spend the day coming up with new and exciting ways to keep her entertained without giving in to the endless pleading requests for the boob-tube.

Of course, on days like today, I think it's best for ME if I stay put on the couch and just keep yelling into the bedroom, "are you jumping on the bed, you'd better not be jumping on the bed, if you're jumping on the bed you can't watch tv, are you jumping on the bed, I'm coming in there".

ps-Coming in there just means moving around and making "getting up" noises on the couch until I hear the not-jumping-on-the-bed-anymore noises.

Today television means I get to complete a thought. Hear the refrigerator running. Eat a piece of chocolate without having to share it. Write an email without someone reading over my shoulder asking me what perforated means. Read a few chapters of a book. Use the bathroom without an audience. And, perhaps, if just for a few minutes- I can close my eyes and get back a few of those z's my husband's pancake of a pillow robbed me of last night. ( Somehow or another we swapped pillows and neither of us got a good night's rest.)

So. Judge not lest ye be judged. Today, the television is not an imagination-snatching, brain-sucking foe of mine. It is just the right amount of distraction I needed to get this blog you're enjoying (or not) written.

"Television! Teacher, mother, secret lover."
~Homer Simpson

No comments: